- The industrial production has
increased at an annual rate of 5.4% in the first quarter.
- In April, manufacturing production
advanced 0.7 percent, and the output indexes for mining and for
utilities both increased 0.9 percent.
- Overall industrial output was 4.7
percent above its April 2005 level.
- The factory operating rate, at
80.8 percent, was 1.0 percentage point above its long-run
- The operating rate for mining
jumped to 89.8 percent, a rate 2.5 percentage points above its
- The output of home electronics
rose a sharp 2.0 percent after having fallen during the first
- The production of business
equipment jumped 1.8 percent because of sharp gains in the
output of information processing equipment and of industrial and
- The output of defense and space
equipment advanced 1.1 percent while the output of construction
supplies was up 0.4 percent
- The index for energy materials was
up 1.3 percent, and the index for non-energy materials rose 0.8
percent in April.
- The production of petroleum and
coal products fell 2.3 percent, but output moved higher for all
other major nondurable goods components.
US Federal Reserve: Industrial
Production and Capacity Utilization