U.K. Online Ad Spending Up 40%; Set to Overtake National Press This Year
Paid-for search was 57.7% up year-on-year to £531.3 million - a share of 57.9% of the online total. Online display advertising climbed 33.2% to £215.9 million and a 23.5% share of all online ad spend, making it by far the fastest-growing display medium.
- Double the size of outdoor (5.1%)
- Double the size of consumer magazines (4.6%)
- Three times the size of radio advertising (3.4%)
- Half the size of the TV advertising market, which recorded a 22.7% market share following a decline of 1.3%
- Within one percentage point of national press, which recorded an 11.4% share for the first half of 2006.
While traditional press advertising expenditure fell year-on-year, online classified advertising grew 23.4% to £162.2 million, a share of 17.7% for the first half of 2006. Interruptive formats, including 'pop ups', declined by 9% to £6.8 million - the format is now worth just 0.7% of all online advertising expenditure.
Recruitment and finance remain the highest-spending industry categories, but other sectors are increasing their online advertising spend.
- Automotive and Entertainment represented 13.8% of the market
- Media represented 13.8% and 8.9% of the market
- Consumer Goods, which includes FMCG, rose to 4.6%, up from 3.6%
- Retail saw its share increase to 3%, compared with 2.8% for the first half of 2005.