Not Just Cash... 10 Advanced Features that Consumers Like in ATMs: Survey
Market research firm Harris Interactive Inc. conducted this survey for Diebold between Oct. 2 and Oct. 10, 2006, questioning more than 2,000 consumers nationwide about ATM usage, desires and perceptions. According to survey results:
- 72%: biometrics, such as fingerprint identification capabilities, on ATMs
- 68%: receipt/no receipt preference.
- 41%: like ATM to remember user preference settings
- 42%: want to customize their ATM preferences via their online banking channel
- Statement printing, reordering of checks, paying utility bills and making address changes.
- More than one-third of consumers said they want to use ATMs to obtain information or transfer funds between accounts at different financial institutions.
- Selling postage stamps, sending money, selling movie or event tickets, selling certificates of deposit and selling prepaid phone minutes.
- Buying postage stamps and movie or event tickets was the most popular purchase features.
The number of ATMs worldwide has passed 1.5 million in 2005 and is forecast to reach 2 million by 2011, according to the ATM Industry Association.
According to Retail Banking Research (www.rbrlondon.com) global ATM survey, ‘Global ATM Market and Forecasts to 2011’, which covers 184 countries:
- At 245,000 ATM shipments per year thru 2011. Global ATM market to reach 2 million installations by 2011.
- Nearly 1.5 million ATMs are expected to be shipped worldwide during the period to 2011.
- Asia-Pacific is now the largest regional ATM market with 31% (476,000 ATMs) of the global total, having recently overtaken North America (29%).
- While the USA and Japan will keep their positions as the two largest ATM markets, China is expected to move ahead of Brazil to become the third largest, as it is forecast to install 65,000 machines between 2005 and 2011 – more than any other country.
- Despite a predicted increase of more than 27,000 new installations, India is still expected have the lowest density of ATMs to population of all the countries surveyed by the end of 2011.
- The share of off-site ATMs worldwide increased from 38% in 2003 to 45% in 2005
ATMs by Regions and Share:
- Asia-Pacific 476,006 (30.8% )
- North America 451,097 (29.2%)
- Western Europe 329,150 (21.3%)
- Latin America 173,880 (11.3%)
- Central and Eastern Europe 75,504 (4.9%)
- Middle East and Africa 39,216 (2.5%)