Mobile Gadgets Seen as Best Way to Fib; 43% Lie Pretending to be ill: Study
The poll, on behalf of financial services group Friends Provident, found that "techno-treachery" was widespread with nearly 75% of people saying gadgets like Blackberrys made it easier to fib.
Just over 50% of respondents said using gadgets made them feel less guilty when telling a lie than doing it face to face,
The workplace was a favorite location for fibbing with 67% of the 1,487 respondents admitting they had lied at work.
Top Workplace Lies:
- Pretending to be ill (43%)
- Saying work had been completed when it hadn't (23%)
- Worryingly for bosses, lied to hide a big mistake (18%)
Outside work, just over 40% said they had lied to their family or partner:
- buying new clothes or the cost of them (37%)
- how good someone looked in something (35%)
- how much they had eaten (35%) and drunk (31%)
- how much they weighed (32%)
The survey found that while people were dishonest, most told lies with the best intentions and to spare others' feelings.