U.S. Private Equity and VC Firms Raised Record $215.4 Billion in 2006
- The leveraged buyout firms represent 69% of the fund-raising in 2006, with $148.8 billion of the total raised in 2006.
- Just 8 large buyout firms, including Bain Capital, First Reserve Corp., Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co., and Texas Pacific Group were responsible for 49% of the buyout funds or 34% of the total $215.4 billion.
- U.S. Venture capital funds accounted for 11.7% of the total capital raised, with 119 funds raising $25.1 billion, a 2% decline from 2005. Last year, US VC firms raised $25.7 billion in 151 funds.
- Nearly 20% of the VC funds were raised by two firms, New Enterprise Associates and Oak Investment Partners.
- Mezzanine funds raised $20.4 billion, a record one-year total and a five times increase over 2005.